Identifying Homeless Youth
RESPONSIBILITY IN IDENTIFYING & SERVING HOMELESS YOUTH
It is the responsibility of every employee of the Weatherly Area School District to identify children who may be experiencing homelessness and to report this information to the District Homeless Liaison.
As indicated by the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 1987, these children have the right to immediate enrollment, school stability, access and support for academic success. Following is a summary of the definition(s) of those children who may be considered homeless, and the responsibilities of the Weatherly Area School District as a whole, to remove any barriers in relation to school enrollment, education, nutrition, transportation, and involvement in extra-curricular activities. Each homeless situation should be handled individually.
DEFINITION(S) OF HOMELESS
- Families and children who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence including:
- Sharing housing (doubled-up) due to loss of housing or other event
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or
- camp grounds
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Awaiting foster care placement
- Living in cars, parks, public spaces, bus or train stations, etc.
- Migratory children living in similar circumstances (above)
- Unaccompanied youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian
SCHOOL DISTRICT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Immediately enrollment by removing barriers such as:
- proof of residency
- birth certificate
- immunization records
- former school records.
- Provide transportation (if needed) based upon district walking/busing guidelines.
- Provide free meal benefits.
- Respect the sensitivity and confidentiality of the situation(s) ie. do not bring special attention to homeless children in front of classmates.
- Provide services comparable to those received by other students including;
- special education
- vocational programs
- gifted programs, etc.
- Ensure participation in field trips, activities and class projects even if they don’t have transportation or necessary fees.
Please contact the Homeless Children Liaison at 570-427-8886 or the Weatherly Area School District Superintendent if you have any questions or concerns.